Leucistic Hippopotamus (Hippopotamus amphibius)
- The first thing you’ll notice about these hippos is that they are pink! Leucistic hippos tend to have some freckling, like on this adult.
- This almost normal female sports little pink “socks”.
- A juvenile hippo peeks from the water. You can really see the freckling on him.
- This one has much more pigmentation on his head, neck, and back.
- A big, pink adult looking stunning against the dark grey backs of it’s buddies. You can see how it’s freckles are colored the same way it normally is; grey on top, and reddish towards the bottom.
(Source: National Geographic)